Plan & Build 

Types of Permits

Plumbing Permit

A Plumbing Permit is included with a Building Permit when required. A separate Plumbing Permit is required when no Building Permit is needed (see "When Do I need a Permit" section). This is required to install plumbing services and fixtures.

Building Permit

A Building Permit is required as stated in the paragraph on the right.

Occupancy Permit

An Occupancy Permit is included with the Building Permit when required. In most instances, it is required from the Regional District Building/Plumbing Officials, before occupying the building.

Agricultural Land Commission

Approval from the Agricultural Land Commission is required for the non-agricultural use of land or for additional dwellings to be located on a parcel of land within the Agricultural Land Reserve, prior to the issuance of a Building Permit. Please check with the Planning Department of the Regional District to determine if a Development Permit is required. For information on how to contact the Agricultural Land Commission see Related Agencies.

Electrical and Gas Permits

A Permit is required for all electrical and gas work and must be obtained from the electrical and gas inspectors. (see Related Agencies)


Contact the Building Officials or the Planning Department at the Regional District in the Grand Forks or Trail offices to determine if the land is zoned and if it is, the types of uses and number of dwellings permitted, setback distances and other regulations.

Development Permits

A Development Permit is required for any building construction at Christina Lake, Big White and certain other areas in the Regional District. Please check with the Planning Department to determine whether a Development Permit is required in your area.

Appeals to the Board of Variance

Where a building site does not comply with the Zoning Bylaw with respect to size, dimensions, or location on the parcel, the applicant may appeal to the Board of Variance for a variation from the Bylaw requirement.

It must be shown that compliance with the Bylaw is unreasonable and causes undue hardship. Where the topography of a building site has unusual features such as bedrock or very steep slopes, it may be considered an undue hardship to comply with the siting requirements of the zoning bylaw. Hence, an appeal to the Board of Variance for a variance may be appropriate.

It takes approximately three to four weeks to process a Board of Variance appeal. Contact the Planning Department.

Restrictive Covenant

Governing setback distances for buildings from the natural boundary of lakes, rivers and/or streams in areas subject to flooding are sometimes required to be placed on the title of a parcel of land prior to a building permit being issued.

Contaminated Sites Legislation

Before building on a contaminated site you must first contact BC Environment. See Related Agencies.

Worksafe BC

In order to protect the employer and employee, the construction employer should register with WCB.