Regional Government

General Local Elections 2022

Are you eligible to vote? See notice here.

Qualified electors in five Electoral Areas (A, B/Lower Columbia-Old Glory, C/Christina Lake, D/Rural Grand Forks, and E/West Boundary) within the District will elect one person to the position of Director for a four-year mandate, ending in October of 2026. In the event that there is only one candidate in any of the electoral areas, that person will be acclaimed to the Director position.

Municipal directors are appointed by their respective Councils.

How Do I Vote?

To vote in an election, you must be registered as an elector (resident—you live in the community; or non-resident—you own property in the community but live elsewhere). If your name does not appear on the List of Electors for your electoral area, you are not a registered elector. The RDKB does not require registration with the Provincial Voters List. All electors must register at the time of voting.

Any individual who qualifies as a Resident Elector or Non-Resident Property Owner within an area where an election is being held is qualified to vote.

Resident Elector

You are qualified to register as a Resident Elector if you:

  • 18 years of age or older on general voting day;
  • Canadian citizen;
  • resident of BC. for at least 6 months immediately before the day of registration;
  • be a resident of the electoral area on the day of registration.
  • not disqualified under the Local Government Act or any other enactment from voting in the assent voting and not otherwise disqualified by law.

Rules for Determining Residency – Resident Elector

To determine residency for a resident elector the criteria are as follows:

  • Person is a resident of the area where the person lives and to which, whenever absent, the person intends to return;
  • Person may only be a resident of one area at a time for the purpose of voting in a local government election;
  • Person does not change their area of residence until they have a new area of residence;
  • Person does not cease to be a resident of an area by leaving the area for temporary purposes only;
  • If a person establishes residency in a new area which is away from their usual area of residence for the purpose of attending an educational institution in the new area, the person may choose to vote in either area; but not in both.


Non-resident (property) Elector

You are eligible to vote as a non-resident property elector when you:

  • You are NOT entitled to register as a Resident Elector of the jurisdiction;
  • You are a Canadian citizen;
  • You are 18 years of age or older on or before general voting day;
  • You have lived in BC for at least 6 months immediately prior to the day of registration;
  • You are the registered owner of real property on the day of registration (Note: the only persons who are registered owners of the real property, either as joint tenants or tenants in common, are individuals who are not holding the property in trust for a corporation or another trust);
  • You must only register in relation to one piece of property in the jurisdiction;
  • If more than one person owns the property, only one owner may register and that person must have the written consent of a majority of the other owners; and
  • You are not disqualified by the Local Government Act or any other Act from voting in an election or be otherwise disqualified by law.


Can a corporation vote?
No. A corporation is not entitled to vote.

How to Register

Register with the Regional District of Kootenay Boundary prior to August 23, 2022.

You may also email or contact the Deputy Chief Election Officer at 250-368-0244.

When registering, you must provide two documents proving your identity and residence*. One of the documents must have your signature.

The following are examples of valid identity documents:

  • a British Columbia Driver’s License**,
  • a British Columbia Identification Card issued by the Motor Vehicle Branch,
  • an Owner’s Certificate of Insurance and Vehicle Insurance issued by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia,
  • a British Columbia CareCard or British Columbia Gold CareCard,
  • a Ministry of Social Development and Economic Security Request for Continued Assistance Form SDES8,
  • a Social Insurance Card issued by Human Resources Development  Canada,
  • a Citizenship Card issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada,
  • a real property tax notice issued under the Local Government Act or the Taxation (Rural Area) Act,
  • a credit card or debit card issued by a savings institution as defined in section 29 of the Interpretation Act, or
  • a utility bill issued for the supply of electricity, natural gas, water, telephone services or coaxial cable services by (i) a public utility as defined in section 1 of the Utilities Commission Act,
  • a gas utility as defined in section 1 of the Gas Utility Act,
  • a water utility as defined in section 1 of the Water Act,
  • the British Columbia Hydro and Power Authority, or
  • a corporation licensed by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission for the purpose of that supply.
  • Canadian Passport
  • Canadian Indian Status Card
  • Canadian Firearms License

**A combined British Columbia Driver’s License and Services Card is considered one document.  A second document is still required.

*Proof of ownership of the property in question (for example, your tax notice, or a certificate of title printout). A utility bill or other similar documentation is NOT proof of ownership.

The Voters List

The Voters List will be available for inspection starting August 30 until the closed of General Voting on October 15th. To view the Voters List please contact the Chief Elections Officer at (250) 368-0225  or the Deputy Chief Elections Officer at (250) 368-0244 or email

Are landed immigrants eligible to vote?

No.  You must be a Canadian citizen to vote.

What does 'disqualified from voting' mean?

You may not vote in a British Columbia local government election if you have been convicted of an indictable offence and are in custody or have been found guilty of an election offence.


Where Do I Vote?

Voting place locations will be advertised in local newspapers and posted on this web page, once an election or other voting opportunity has been declared by the Chief Election Officer.

If you are unsure as to which electoral area you live or own property in, please refer to the RDKB map.


Can I Vote By Mail?

Yes, you can.

To receive a mail-in ballot package you must first submit a Mail-in Ballot Application and two (2) pieces of identification to the Regional District office not before 9 a.m., Monday, September 12. It is the responsibility of the elector to ensure there is sufficient time to receive and submit the Mail-in Ballot Application form to the Regional District office in order to receive a voting package prior to 4:30 pm on Friday, October 7, 2022. Mail ballot application forms may be obtained in person from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Regional District of Kootenay Boundary office at 843 Rossland Avenue, Trail, BC; by visiting; by emailing or by calling 250.368.0225.

If there is no challenge to registering you as an eligible elector, your name will be placed on a list to receive a mail-in ballot package. The mail-in ballot package contains instructions, a ballot and the necessary return envelopes that will protect the secrecy of your vote.

Non-Resident Property Electors must also complete Non-resident Property Elector Declaration and Non-resident Property Elector Consent Form to accompany the mail-in ballot application.

In order for your ballot to be counted in the election, it is your responsibility to return the mail-in ballot package to the Regional District Office no later than 8:00 pm on General Voting day, Saturday, October 15, 2022 at the polling station for the Electoral Area in which you are voting.

What if I need assistance while voting?
If you are able to make it to the voting place, but are unable to go inside the building, you may request Curbside Voting – whereby an election official will bring a ballot to your vehicle. 

If you are unable to mark your own ballot, you may ask for help from an Election Official, friend or relative.  A declaration for a Person Assisting an Elector to Mark a Ballot will be required for this.

If you require a translator to interpret for you, a declaration for a Translator may be requested.


Information for Candidates

Thinking of Running for Local Office? Check out the resources here:

A list of important dates can be found here.


Action or Deadline

January 1, 2022

Start of Election Period

March 8, 2022

Candidate BC Residency Deadline with no extension (submit on September 9)

March 11, 2022

Candidate BC Residency Deadline with extended deadline (submit on September 12)

April 14, 2022

Elector Residency Deadline
(6 months in BC for registering on general voting day)

July 25, 2022

Start of Period for Notice of end of Advance Elector Registration

August 30, 2022

9:00 am - Nomination Period Begins

 September 9, 2022

4:00 pm - Nomination Period Ends

 September 9, 2022

Declaration of Candidates (after 4 pm)

 September 13, 2022

4:00 pm - Nomination Challenge Deadline

 September 16, 2022

4:00 pm - Nomination Documents Originals to local Chief Election Officer Deadline

 September 16, 2022

Election Period Ends

 September 16, 2022

Deadline for withdrawal of candidates and withdrawal of elector organization endorsement

 September 17, 2022

Campaign Period Begins

 September 19 , 2022

4:00 pm - Declaration of election by voting

 October 5, 2022

8:00 am - 8:00 pm - Advance Voting Day

 October 15, 2022

8:00am - 8:00pm – General Voting Day (locations to be announced)

 October 15, 2022

Campaign Period Ends

 October 19, 2022

4:00 pm - Declaration of Official Election Results

 October 24, 2022

Judicial Recount Application Deadline

 October 28, 2022

Judicial Recount Completion Deadline

 December 2, 2022

Oath or Affirmation of Office Deadline

 January 13, 2019

Disclosure Statements Filing Deadline

February 13, 2019

Disclosure Statements Late Filing Deadline


Important information for candidates on campaign financing and advertising rules can be found here.

Questions on campaign financing and advertising rules should be directed to Elections BC, at 1-800-661-8683, or


Additional Resources

The Ministry of Municipal Affairs has created four informational videos about what to expect before, during and following general local elections in BC.

The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure has legislation for election signage being placed on Highway Rights-of-Way.


Assent Voting/Referendum

From time to time the Regional Board may determine that assent voting/referendum should be held.  If so, information on that will be posted on the RDKB website.

The Regional Board may also determine that the Alternative Approval Process be used to gain the approval of electors.

For more information regarding Regional District of Central Kootenay Elections/Assent Voting process contact:

Chief Election Officer: Anitra Winje
Phone: (250) 368.0225

Deputy Chief Election Officer: Jennifer Kuhn
Phone: (250) 368.0224

Questions on campaign financing and advertising rules should be directed to Elections BC, at 1-800-661-8683, or

More Information