The Regional District of Kootenay Boundary is seeking an energetic and qualified individual for the position of Fire Chief, Big White Fire Department. Reporting to the Regional District’s General Manager of Operations, the Fire Chief is responsible for managing all aspects of the fire department, including administration, recruitment and management, fire suppression, training and fire prevention activities. The ideal Fire Chief will be a forward thinker, providing strategic direction to develop and implement policies and actions to ensure the continuity of fire protection service in the Big White area.
The ideal candidate will possess strong interpersonal and leadership skills and excels at building effective working relationships with all Fire Department staff, local community groups, the general public, elected officials, Regional District staff and mutual aid partners. Experience in training volunteers is a must.
The Big White Fire Department is a composite department with 3 career Chief Officers and approximately 35 paid on-call fire fighters. The department provides the village of Big White and the Big White Ski Resort with a wide range of services including: fire suppression and prevention, fire & life safety presentations, public assists, emergency medical response, auto extrication and rope rescue. It also provides road rescue services to over 90kms of Big White Road and Highway 33 to Carmi, and emergency medical response to the residents of Idabel Lake.
The Big White Fire Department responds to an average of 260 emergencies annually, primarily between November and April. The department was accepted into a pilot project with the Emergency Health and Services Commission to train its members to EMR level of care, allowing responders to provide additional medical protocols that enhance patient care while awaiting BCAS paramedics. The department also recruits and trains between 5 to 7 work experience program firefighters each year who train, live and respond full time from the fire hall from July through the winter ski season, with recruitment recurring annually each spring.
Desirable knowledge, skills and abilities for this role:
- Degree in business or public administration or a fire related discipline and at least 5 years of satisfactory service as a Senior Fire Officer, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Satisfactory completion of recognized Fire service ‘instructor/evaluator’ training
- Satisfactory completion of NFPA 1001 Level 2
- Satisfactory completion of Fire Inspector training through a recognized institution
- Enrolled in Fire Officer training with satisfactory completion of a minimum of Fire Officer II
- First Responder Level 3 First Aid (EMR?)
- Proficient comprehensionof the Incident Command System (ICS); minimum ICS 200 completed
- Professional computer skills, including ability to produce reports and plans
- Valid BC Class 3 Driver’s License with air brake endorsement; satisfactory driver’s abstract required
- Satisfactory criminal record and vulnerable sector check
To be considered for this opportunity, please submit a cover letter and resume to Human Resources at email@example.com by no later than 12 noon, Monday July 25, 2022. Visit RDKB.com/Careers for more information. The RDKB is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates. Only those applicants shortlisted for this opportunity will be contacted. The RDKB thanks all candidates for their interest.
For more information on this position, please review the job description available here.
Applications will be accepted until: Monday, July 25th, 2022