Deputy Fire Chief – Fire Prevention & Life Safety Officer
BIG WHITE FIRE DEPARTMENT
The Big White Ski Resort is a vibrant, growing resort community located 45 minutes North East of beautiful Kelowna BC and the Okanagan Valley. With the opening of our world-class mountain bike park in 2017, Big White is now a year round resort welcoming hundreds of thousands of skiers and bikers annually. The Big White Ski Resort has experienced an increase in permanent residents and the construction of several new housing and multi residential developments. Our community school continues to grow and develop exceptional educational curriculum and outdoor activities.
Due to the retirement of our current Deputy Fire Chief, the Big White Fire Department has a position open for an individual who not only meets our required qualifications but someone who shares a vision to do their part in continuing the legacy of our department with pride, honor and integrity. Someone who can provide leadership in a team environment on and off the fire ground and is dedicated to lifelong learning. Someone who can wear many hats to serve not only as Deputy Chief, but also Fire Prevention Officer and Life Safety Officer to our department of primarily Paid On-Call Firefighters and our broader Big White community.
If you are this person who is looking at a challenging and rewarding career with the Big White Fire Department and enjoys the outdoors, then I encourage you to read through our requirements below and apply.
Click here for the full Job Description
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Big White Fire Department is seeking an experienced Fire Inspector. Under the direction of the Big White Fire Chief, this position will perform inspections of residential, commercial and institutional buildings to ensure owners of public and private buildings and structures are code compliant. The Fire and Life Safety Inspector will respond to internal and external inquiries and provide technical information, advice and assistance to other departments, government agencies and the public in a manner that is tactful, clear, concise and appropriate. In addition to Incident Command and Firefighter duties, other responsibilities within the portfolio include Occupational Health, Safety, and Apparatus Maintenance Program.
This is an incredible opportunity for a Paid On-Call Firefighter with the right qualifications who is ready to step up into a leadership role and provide inspection services to the community. This position may also suit experienced Fire leaders looking to relocate to the Big White area. The ideal candidate will be available to commence by mid-November 2021, to allow for handover and training with our outgoing Deputy Fire Chief.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Certification to NFPA 1001 FF Level 1 & 2 or equivalent training/experience.
- Certification Fire Inspector 1 NFPA 1031
- Fire Cause and Origin Level 1
- Fire Officer 1
- Fire Service Instructor 1
- EMALB Licensed Medical First Responders Full Schedule 2
- Minimum 5 years of experience as a firefighter and/or fire officer, with proven supervisory skills and ability to direct, evaluate and effectively manage staff and paid on call members.
- Graduation from a secondary school (Grade 12) or equivalent supplemented by post-secondary or technical courses related to the position.
- Valid British Columbia driver’s license, class 3 c/w air endorsement
- Extensive knowledge of provincial and federal codes and municipal bylaws;
- Thorough knowledge relative to fire inspections, fire investigation, and related matters;
- Demonstrated computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and working knowledge of Fire Department Management (FDM);
- Strong customer service skills;
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and written;
- Ability to exercise courtesy and tact when dealing with the public and external agencies;
- Fire Officer 2
- Fire Service Instructor 2
- Construction and vehicle maintenance experience.
The Big White Fire Department provides Fire Services to the Big White community and is part of the Regional District of Kootenay Boundary Fire Services group.
The salary range for this position is $75,000 – $78,000/annum, dependent on qualifications. Fire Department members also receive $6400.00 housing allowance annually, as well as a competitive benefit package. The successful candidate will be required to reside within the community of Big White.
The ideal candidate will be available to commence by mid-November 2021, to allow for handover and training with our outgoing Deputy Fire Chief.
To apply, submit your cover letter and resume for this challenging and rewarding position complete with proof of certifications through e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Friday, October 29, 2021 1630 hrs.
We thank all applicants for applying; however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Click here for the full Job Description
Applications will be accepted until 4:30 pm – Friday, October 29, 2021